Friday, September 5, 2008

Questions Brought up by Persepolis

Persepolis reminded me a lot of A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, as it's main character was a young Middle-Eastern girl. As I read the graphic novel, I was reminded of many questions that I asked myself when I read ATSS. Firstly, I always had wondered why would a family choose to live in such a dangerous place. Maybe I'm just not very sentimental over what I consider my home. I find it hard to understand the will of someone to knowingly stay in a dangerous location when they appear to have the money to leave. Is the pride in one's home that much more important than ones life?

Another question is there any stories from a none rich family? The Satrapi's were rich enough to be able to be rebellious and educated. What happend to those not that lucky?

I'll leave this post with one last question. Is the quote, "to die a martyr is to inject blood into the veins of society." still relivant to todays American society?

No comments: